BATAVIA — As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the city of Batavia Fire Department temporarily suspended community outreach offerings. That outreach includes the Child Passenger Safety Seat Program. This was necessary to ensure the health and safety of our staff from the possible effects of COVID-19.
The department announced today that as of this past Monday, child passenger safety seat technicians will be available to check and install seats on an appointment-only basis.
“As we reintroduce this most valuable program back to our community, we remain vigilant in protecting our staff from a possible COVID-19 exposure,” the department said today in a press release.
The department requires people to adhere to the following guidelines to assist in safeguarding everyone involved:
• To schedule an appointment, contact the city of Batavia Fire Headquarters at (585) 345-6375. No walk-ups will be accepted.
• All inspections and/or installations will take place in the rear parking lot of fire headquarters.
• Visitors will not be allowed inside the building for any reason.
• If an individual appears to be ill or sick, technicians will not complete the inspection/installation and the guardian/parent will be directed to reschedule the appointment. Guardians/parents feeling ill or running a fever are urged to stay home and reschedule an appointment.
• The child passenger seat, along with the vehicle, must be clean and free of debris. Additional disinfecting may be conducted by fire department personnel prior to the check.
• Guardians/parents are required to wear a face covering at all times during the check.
• Only one guardian/parent will be allowed during the installation/inspection along with the child.
Failure to abide by the above guidelines will result in the suspension of the appointment. Anyone who has questions or would like to schedule an appointment may contact the city of Batavia Fire Department at (585) 345-6375.