SHELDON — Firefighters spent seven hours at the scene of a grain bin fire at Trouw Nutrition Tuesday, a fire that started by spontaneous combustion, Wyoming County fire officials said.
Eight fire companies were called to 3422 Dutch Hollow Rd. after a fire was reported just after 7 a.m.
Wyoming County Emergency Services said that a 300-ton grain bin containing 80 tons of gluten combusted because of the high moisture content inside the bin.
The gluten is used in dairy feed.
Firefighters used more than 85,000 gallons of water hauled by tanker trucks to break down and cool the gluten.
The water also flushed out the bin. All the grain was lost and the bin was damaged.
The loss was estimated at $60,000 but normal operations resumed at the plant, fire officials said.
Strykersville, North Java, East Aurora, Arcade, Sheldon, South Wales, Harris Corners and Wales Center fire department responded, along with Emergency Services and Strykersville Squad-10.
No injuries were reported.