Man brought to Strong ICU after Le Roy apartment fire

Mark Gutman/Daily News Residents won’t be able to return to this building at Leroy Meadows until the damage is repaired.

LE ROY — After fire broke out in an upper apartment at Leroy Meadows, 18 Genesee St., the man who lived there was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, where he was in the Intensive Care Unit as of Tuesday morning.

Le Roy Fire Chief Tom Wood said Thursday that the fire department hadn’t heard an update on the victim’s condition. The man, in his 60s, was taken by Le Roy ambulance to Strong. The fire broke out around 1:50 a.m. in Apartment 1E.

“I believe he’s got burns to the face, hands and feet, and burns to internal organs,” Wood said. “I believe it was just a single resident (in Apartment 1E).”

County Office of Emergency Management Coordinator Tim Yaeger said no other injuries were reported. The fire was accidental and the cause was smoking-related, he said Thursday.

Yaeger said there are eight apartments in the complex where the fire took place, fire. There was smoke and water damage to Apartment 1E, and water damage to the apartment below, Apartment 1A.

“The captain of the department ran the scene, Josh Pfendler,” Wood said. “Le Roy PD was first on scene. Josh and the ladder truck were the first to arrive on the fire side. While en route, he got the update from the police department and he called the second alarm. It was within minutes, they kept it to a room-and-contents fire. It was an excellent stop by the first crew in.”

The fire chief said the Le Roy ambulance crew left for Strong with the victim while crews were fighting the fire.

“They got him up there pretty quick,” Wood said.

Wood said everyone in the building that included Apartment 1E was evacuated. There are four units in that building. The apartment building about 30 yards away from it, which also has four units, did not need to be evacuated, he said.

Wood said the main body of the building where the fire happened is still structurally sound.

“The walls sustained damage from the water and the fire,” he said. “I believe it was about 15 minutes before the determined it was under control.”

However, the people living in the building which had the fire have to live elsewhere for the time being. Yaeger said the Red Cross assisted the displaced residents.

Wood said, “The one side where the gentleman lived, that side can’t return to live in there until the water damage and the fire damage are all fixed.”

He said he believes the residents in the other building were allowed back in by around noon Tuesday. Wood said he believes there was one cat in the complex and it was unhurt.

On its Facebook page, the Le Roy Fire Department said, “Ladder 65 and Engine 63 were able to quickly extinguish the fire. A 2nd alarm was requested and City of Batavia, Stafford, Caledonia, Mumford, Pavilion all responded. Emergency Management, Mercy EMS, Code Enforcement and Le Roy PD assisted at the scene. Thank you to our members and everyone who responded.”

Wood said Le Roy firefighters were finished at the scene by around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1