Power strip blamed in fire

EAGLE — A power strip malfunction is believed to be the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a house on Route 362 Sunday afternoon, county fire officials said.

The fire at 6648 Route 362 was reported just after 4 p.m. Bliss, Arcade, North Java and Pike departments responded and were on the scene for more than two hours.

The fire began on the second floor after a power strip malfunctioned. The second floor suffered the most damage, with smoke damage throughout the house, Wyoming County Emergency Services said.

The house, owned by Stephen Zalewski, suffered about $50,000 worth of damage.

The Red Cross is assisting.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1