LIVONIA — Following two convincing wins to open the season, Le Roy would get its first huge test on Tuesday night when it went to Livonia to take on a tough Bulldogs team.

The Oatkan Knights dodged bullets from Livonia all through regulation with the help of goalkeeper Kenny Saunders but eventually the bough would break.

Midway through the first overtime period, Shawn Minnehan headed in the game-winner on a ball from Shane Melead as Livonia escaped with a 1-0 victory over a tough Le Roy team in a gritty defensive battle.

“Le Roy has a nice team and is superbly coached,” Livonia coach Ray Maxwell said. “I thought we played fantastic soccer all night long. It was as solid a performance as I’ve seen in quite some time. We need to find the net more often. Our seniors excelled on Senior Night, and fitting that one of our seniors would score the match winner.”

The Bulldogs controlled the ball for much of the night, consistently putting pressure on the Le Roy defense and Saunders between the pipes. Yet for 85 minutes, the Le Roy senior was up to the task.

Saunders stopped 10 shots on the night, including eight in the second half and overtime — many in spectacular fashion — to keep the game knotted at zero. Eventually, in a crowded bunch in front of the net, the Bulldogs would get the equalizer with 4:56 left.

“I thought we played really well tonight but had some trouble putting the ball in the net,” Minnehan said. “Once it went into overtime we knew someone had to step up and I just got my head on a great ball. I’m proud of the way my guys fought all night against a great Le Roy team, and we’re going to build on this and keep working.”

Without many scoring chances on the night, Le Roy had a trio of chances late in regulation, one of which appeared to cross the goaline past Livonia keeper Brendan Meyers off of a shot from Nick Vallese near the post; however, it was ruled that Meyers had made the save.

The Oatkan Knights would then have a pair of corner kicks with under two minutes to play but were unable to capitalize.

Meyers needed just four saves to record the shutout as Livonia moved to 3-1 on the season.

Le Roy — which dropped to 2-1 — will have to shake this one off quick as the Oatkan Knights will host a strong Letchworth/Warsaw team on Thursday.

Livingston Conference


James Thomas scored a career-high four goals as Geneseo whipped Perry Tuesday in LCAA D-II action.

Thomas, a senior midfielder, scored once before the intermission, and then added three more goals in the second half as Geneseo improved to 1-3. Michael Walton added the other goal for the Blue Devils.

Jack Rubeck assisted on two goals while James Hy had one assist.


Cam Salvati netted a hat trick including two goals in the second half as Avon blanked the Blue Devils Tuesday in LCAA D-II action.

Carson Williams opened the scoring for the Braves with a goal four minutes in assisted by Lee Hartke.

Alex Mayen made it 2-0 with 22 minutes left in the first half off an assist from Hudson Volpe.

Salvati’s first goal came late in the first half off a feed from Williams as Avon led 3-0 at the intermission.

Volpe would score early into the second half off a pass from Jacob Weslowski that put the Braves up 5-0.

Salvati scored two more quick goals in the second half, just a minute apart assisted by Hartke and Williams for the final margin.

Avon keeper Christopher Kashorek stopped two shots for the shutout. Avon is 2-1 while Mt. Morris dropped to 0-3.


Four different players scored goals for unbeaten Keshequa during their LCAA D-II victory Tuesday.

Jacob Schiano scored the lone first half goal for the Indians off a feed from Reese Powers.

Powers, Jordon Luther and Riley Rease added second half goals for the Indians, who play at Cal-Mum Saturday.

Aidan Wood. Schiano and Luther added assists for Keshequa.

P/Y keeper Evan Amberger made 19 saves. Teammate Trevor Wiedrich scored his first varsity goal from Jake Taylor to tie the game at 1-1.

Keshequa improved to 4-0 having outscored their opponents 41-2 while host Pavilion/York fell to 2-2.

It was only the second goal allowed by Keshequa this season.


Nik Eustace led the big offensive output with four goals as the United doubled up on the host Mustangs on Tuesday night.

Mike Schafer added a pair of goals, while Santosh Monger and Adam Grover each found the back of the net once in the win.

Adam Grover chipped in with three assists on the night and Johnny Mertsock added two helpers at LetSaw moved to 3-1.

Tyler Harris had a goal and two assists and Abram Barron had a pair of goals in the losing effort for Dansville.

Jeff Birmingham chipped in with a goal and an assist in the loss.

“This is one of those nights where it’s not a fun night to be a keeper,” Dansville head coach Steve French said. “Aidan O’Connor was excellent in goal tonight and was peppered with a lot of shots. Letchworth was led by a very potent offense that didn’t let up and played extremely well tonight at the Ralph Clements field for a first home night. Hopefully we will continue to get better and continue to improve.”

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1