Walmart stabbing suspect arraigned


GENESEO – The Schuyler County man accused last month of stabbing a woman multiple times in an unprovoked attack at Geneseo’s Walmart was arraigned on a three-felony indictment handed down by a Livingston County grand jury Tuesday morning in Livingston County Court.

Gregory S. Cunningham was arraigned before Judge Kevin Van Allen on charges of second-degree attempted murder, a class A-I felony, first-degree assault, a B felony, and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a D felony.

The indictment against Cunningham, and his subsequent arraignment, followed a grand jury review of the evidence against him. He was previously arraigned shortly after his alleged stabbing attack on two charges – attempted murder and assault – in the Livingston County Jail.

Cunningham’s arraignment Tuesday on the new charges allowed the case against him to move to Livingston County Court, explained Livingston County District Attorney Greg McCaffrey, who’s prosecuting the case against the 24-year-old.

If convicted of the three charges, Cunningham faces a sentence of between five and 25 years in prison.

The charges stem from a June 9 incident at the Walmart on Veteran Drive in Geneseo in which Cunningham is accused of stabbing a 34-year-old woman multiple times in the upper body with what police described as a knife with a four- to five-inch blade.

Witnesses to the aftermath of Cunningham’s alleged attack described a chaotic scene.

One witness told the County News they could tell immediately something was seriously wrong when they heard the screams of Cunningham’s victim.

“Hers was different,” said the witness, who spoke to the County News on the condition of anonymity. “Hers was guttural. You could hear the fear in her voice.”

According to the witness, the victim kept saying, over and over again, “Please don’t let me die, please don’t let me die,” as Walmart employees put pressure on her multiple stab wounds, trying to stem the flow of blood.

“’I have two children. Please, I want to go home. I want to see my children,’” said the woman, according to the witness. “That was really hard to hear.”

Click here to read past County News coverage of the incident.

The investigation into the incident was led by the Geneseo Police Department with assistance from the Livingston County Sheriff’s Office, New York State Police and the Livingston County District Attorney’s Office.

Gregory S. Cunningham was remanded to the Livingston County Jail with bail set in the amount of $50,000 cash and $100,000 bond or credit card. A stay away Order of Protection was issued on behalf of the victim. He remains incarcerated in the jail and is scheduled to return to court on Sept. 29 for the arguing of motions.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1