A Rochester man who allegedly assaulted a police officer and then repeatedly failed to appear in court has been indicted by a Genesee County grand jury.
Andrew L. Roberts, 28, is charged with second-degree assault on a police officer, a class C violent felony punishable by up to 15 years in state prison.
He also is charged with resisting arrest for the Oct. 21 altercation in Alexander.
Roberts has been arrested numerous times during the past year.
He was charged in February 2020 with theft of services, in June with criminal mischief during a domestic dispute and twice in July, once for second-degree burglary, harassment, criminal mischief and obstruction of governmental administration after he allegedly struggled with police investigating a domestic dispute and again days later for violating an order of protection.
In April this year he was charged with skipping out on a bar tab and in May was arrested in Rochester on three warrants for failing to appear in court in Genesee County.
He has been in Genesee County Jail ever since.
Roberts criminal history includes a state prison term for tampering with evidence in 2016, the same year he was nearly stabbed to death during a fight with another man. The man who stabbed him was sentenced to a state prison term for attempted first-degree assault.
Six other people were indicted recently by the grand jury:
- Shane M. Vanname, 41, of Batavia is charged with felony criminal contempt of court and two counts of misdemeanor criminal contempt of court. He is accused of violating three orders of protection in Le Roy on Oct. 23.
- Dejon J. Smith, 21, of Rochester is charged with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, fourth-degree possession, seventh-degree possession, tampering with physical evidence and obstruction of governmental administration.
Smith was a passenger in a car stopped on Otis Street Feb. 25. He got out and ran and was found a short time later hiding in a storage shed off Ellicott Street. Police said he had cocaine in the car and crack cocaine that he hid in the storage shed.
- Joel Morales Cruz, 46, of Swan Street is charged with felony aggravated unlicensed operation and misdemeanor DWI.
- Myles D. Macleod, 33, of Corfu is charged with felony aggravated DWI, felony DWI, felony aggravated unlicensed operation, circumventing an Interlock, refusing a breath test and operating an unregistered motorcycle.
- Christopher L. Taylor, 31, of Buffalo is charged with third-degree grand larceny for stealing property worth more than $3,000.
- Alexander L. Baldwin, 32, of Batavia is charged with two counts of third-degree grand larceny for stealing money from two people by failing to perform home improvements after taking payment.